On Wednesday, August 24, 2022 the Government of Ontario announced that residents of the province can now apply for, renew and replace lost or stolen accessible parking permits online. Organizations and not-for-profits supporting the disabled community will also be able to take advantage of these online services, anytime, anywhere.
Accessible Parking Permits are available to individuals with health conditions that meet the eligible health requirements. These permits can also be issued to an individual or to a company vehicle used to transport people with a disability. There is no cost for apply for or renewing an Accessible Parking Permit.
There are five types of permits available:
- Permanent Permit
- If you have a permanent disability (determined by your regulated healthcare practitioner) you can apply for a permanent permit. A permanent permit is valid for 5 years and can be renewed without re-certification from a regulated healthcare practitioner.
- Subject to Change Permit
- If you have a disability that is considered subject to change (determined by your regulated healthcare practitioner) you can apply for a subject to change permit. A subject to change permit is valid for 5 years. To renew this permit, you must be re-certified by a healthcare practitioner.
- Temporary Permit
- If you have a temporary disability (determined by your regulated healthcare practitioner) you can apply for a temporary permit. A temporary permit is valid for up to 12 months. To renew this permit, you must be re-certified by a regulated healthcare practitioner.
- Traveller’s Permit
- If you are travelling outside Ontario and hold a valid accessible parking permit, you can get a traveller’s permit to park your car where you depart (for example, Ontario airport or train station) while you use your regular permit during your trip. The traveller permit is valid for 12 months or for the remaining validation period of your accessible parking permit, whichever is less.
- Company Permit
- If you are a company or organization you can get a company permit for every vehicle owned or leased by your company or organization that is used primarily to transport people with disabilities. It is valid for 5 years and can be renewed if the company/organization meets the required criteria.
Currently, there are approximately 770,000 Accessible Parking Permits in use. Last year, ServiceOntario issued nearly 255,000 permits to eligible applicants. Reminders for renewal are mailed to permit holders who are encouraged to keep their documents up to date to avoid fines and penalties.
You can find information at this link https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-accessible-parking-permit#section-3
you can contact ServiceOntario https://www.ontario.ca/page/get-accessible-parking-permit#section-3.
you can call ServiceOntario at 1 800-267-8097
Hi I’m a mom who drive my daughter to all kinds of medical appointments. My daughter has a permanent disability. I’m looking to get a permit for parking. At times it can be difficult getting a place to park. How do I go about getting one.