We are committed to:
I. Seeking and reporting the truth in a truthful way
- We will be honest in the way we gather, report and present news – with relevancy, persistence, context, thoroughness, balance, and fairness in mind.
- We will seek to gain understanding of the individuals and issues we cover to provide an informed account of activities.
- We will treat information from unofficial sources, which may include social media, with skepticism and will seek to corroborate information.
II. Serving the public interest
- We will provide a public forum for diverse people and views.
- We will reflect and encourage understanding of the diverse segments of our community.
- We will provide editorial and community leadership.
- We will seek to promote understanding of complex issues.
- When sharing editorials and other opinion articles, we will encourage and promote views that foster understanding, insight and civil discourse. We seek to offer viewpoints that represent various views on a particular topic.
- We will always provide free access to our readers.
III. Exercising fair play
- We will treat people with respect and compassion.
- We will correct errors promptly.
- We will strive to include all sides relevant to a story. When news develops and we can’t include important perspectives immediately, we will share updates, including additional sources, when possible. We also will share attempts to reach sources who add value to the story.
- We will promote transparency and engagement.
- We will give particular attention to fairness in relations with people unaccustomed to dealing with the news media.
IV. Maintaining independence
- We will remain free of outside interests, investments or business relationships that may compromise the credibility of our news reporting.
- We will maintain an impartial, arm’s-length relationship with anyone seeking to influence the news.
- We will avoid potential conflicts of interest and eliminate inappropriate influence on content.
- We will be free of improper obligations to news sources, newsmakers and advertisers.
- We will not blur the line between advertising and editorial content. We will provide appropriate disclosures, exercise transparency and avoid actual or implicit commercial endorsements by our journalists.
- When sponsorships of news are appropriate, we will not allow them to determine, change or restrict content.
V. Acting with integrity
- We will act honorably and ethically in dealing with news sources, the public and our colleagues.
- We will obey the law.
- We will observe standards of decency.
- We will take responsibility for our decisions and consider the possible consequences of our actions.
- We will be conscientious in observing these principles.
- We will use technological tools with skill and thoughtfulness, avoiding approaches that skew facts, distort reality, or sensationalize events.
- We will not plagiarize or fabricate information.
- We will not alter photos, video or audio to misrepresent events or mislead audiences.