These Italian Amaretti Almond Cookies (paste di mandorle) are light and chewy with an intense flavor. They’re coated in powdered sugar, white sugar, and topped with a cherry and unsalted almonds. Wouldn’t these be perfect for a cookie exchange?
Paste di Mandorle
4 egg whites
2.5 C almond flour
Generous amount of almond extract
1.5 C powdered sugar
– Whisk egg whites and almond extract and fold in flour and powdered sugar.
– Refrigerate dough for 45 minutes before shaping into bite-size cookies.
– Roll cookie in sugar or powdered sugar. (I usually do half and half.)
– Place a cherry or unsalted almond on top (I do both in a batch)
– Bake 350F for 15 minutes.
– Let cool before plating.
Photos by Rosa Basile-Marrello